Annual General Meeting 2021
FROM THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
Notice of the Annual General Meeting 2021 and the Presidential Address
As you will be aware, the DA’s Executive Committee took the decision to cancel the Annual General Meeting and Conference, due to take place in Bideford in September 2021, because of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. The decision was based on advice from several sources and was taken to protect the health and well-being of our members.
The Association is required to hold an Annual General Meeting and this will take place online on Saturday 4 September 2021. All Members and Associates are invited to attend the meeting and an agenda appears below. The AGM will be followed by the Presidential Address, “Design, Denial, Darwin and Devon; Some Victorian Devonian reactions to scientific discovery” to be delivered by Dr Robin J. Wootton FLS, Hon. FRES.
If you would like to attend the AGM and Presidential Address please book a place by sending an email to our Honorary Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org before 8p.m. on Friday 3rd September 2021. Login information and other details will be forwarded a few days before the meeting to those who have booked to attend.
Membership of Executive Committee
Any member of the Association wishing to be nominated to join the Executive Committee will need to complete a Nomination form signed by the Nominee and a Proposer and Seconder. Forms are available from Dr Bridget Gillard, DA Registrar, contact details here. Completed forms must be received by the Honorary Secretary on or before Friday 13th August 2021.
If you have any questions or wish to make any comments regarding the arrangements for the AGM please do not hesitate to contact either the Registrar or the Honorary Secretary, Dr Ian Varndell, at the email addresses given above.
I hope that you will be able to attend the AGM and Presidential Address and look forward to seeing you online.
Dr Sue Andrew
Chair of The Executive Committee
THE DEVONSHIRE ASSOCIATION
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF SCIENCE, LITERATURE AND THE ARTS
Notice of the ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
to be held by videoconference
Saturday 4th September 2021 from 2 p.m.
Welcome – The Association’s Chair, Dr Sue Andrew, and President, Clare Broom DL, who will chair the meeting. Apologies will be read after the Welcome.
- Minutes of the 2020 Annual General Meeting.
- Members and Associates: a) elected; b) resigned; or c) deceased since the last AGM.
- Report of the Executive Committee.
- Annual Financial Report.
- Proposal to amend Rule 10 – Associate to Associate Member with change to membership entitlements.
- Proposal to increase subscription fees for 2022.
- Proposal to amend Rule 25 – reduce the break between terms served by a trustee from three years to one year.
- To elect the Officers for 2021/2022 (Rules 20 & 31).
- To re-elect Miss Stella Beavan and Mr Richard Pocock who have completed one term of three years on the Executive Committee and are eligible for re-election.
- To elect one Member to serve on the Executive Committee for three years (Rule 25).
- To appoint an ‘independent examiner’ for the current financial year 2020 (Rule 20).
- List of papers accepted by the Executive Committee for publication in the Transactions. Presented by the Honorary Editor.
- Appointment of an Honorary Life Member (Rule 8).
- Vote of thanks to the Officers of the Association, including those of the Branches and Sections, and the Registrar. Followed by Any Other Business.
The Annual General Meeting will be followed by the Presidential Address, “Design, Denial, Darwin and Devon; Some Victorian Devonian reactions to scientific discovery” to be delivered by Dr Robin J. Wootton FLS, Hon. FRES (DA President 2021-22).