A visit to Dolvin Road Cemetery (Tavistock Branch)
Mon. 8 August 2022 at 2:00 pm
In Tavistock, opposite the Duke of Bedford’s Dolvin Road cottages, built by the 7th duke in 1845–48, lies Dolvin Road cemetery. The cemetery has an interesting history, being a burial place for non-conformists, as well as the site of a Quaker chapel and a burial place for the established Church of England. It is the resting place of cholera victims, and a number of well-known individuals including Theophilus Jones, architect/surveyor to the Duke of Bedford; Captain James Richards, Captain of Devon Great Consols mine; and William Merrifield, librarian and early photographer of Tavistock.
Our tour of the cemetery will be led by Simon Dell and we will then walk a short distance to a Duke of Bedford cottage at 11 Mount Tavy Road, designed by Theophilus Jones in 1856, where we will have a cream tea.
Access: the cemetery has some uneven paths. There are steps at the house and steep steps down to the River Tavy from the garden. A toilet is available.
Places are limited – contact the organiser to book. Park in town centre car parks and meet at the Duke of Bedford statue, Bedford Square, Tavistock, at 2pm. The cost includes the tour of the cemetery and the cream tea. Please let us know in advance of specific dietary requirements.