- This event has passed.
Devon Bridges – Trackways Through Time (History Section & Tavistock Branch)
Fri. 23 June 2023 at 10:00 am
£10 – £12
An event organised by the Tavistock and West Devon Branch in association with the History Section. The talks will be held at Postbridge Village Hall with a walk to the local historic bridges (weather permitting).
- 10.00 a.m. Coffee
- 10.30 Welcome: Joan Jones, Tavistock and West Devon Branch
- 10.35 Introduction: Sue Andrew, History Section
- 10.40 Talk: Dartmoor’s Bridges Ancient and Modern by Andy Crabb, DNPA Archaeologist
- 11.40 Break
- 11.45 Talk: Devon’s Railway Bridges by Dave Gent, Head of Bridges and Structures, Engineering Consultancy Services Ltd
- 12.45 p.m. Lunch and self-guided visit to Postbridge clapper and road bridges (approximately 8 minutes walk) and the DNPA Visitor Centre
- 2.00 Talk: Grand Challenges: Looking After Devon’s Bridges by Kevin Dentith, Chief Engineer (retired), Bridges and Structures, Devon County Council
- 3.00 Talk: The Clam Bridges of Dartmoor by Peter F. Mason, Dartmoor Historian and author
- 3.30 Closing remarks: Elizabeth Rutledge, Tavistock and West Devon Branch
- 3.35 Tea and depart
Price for the day £10 for DA members, £12 for non-DA members. Morning coffee and afternoon tea will be provided. Attendees are invited to bring a packed lunch, or sandwiches can be provided at an added cost of £5 pp.
Advance booking is essential via the Organiser (details below).