- This event has passed.
Moth trapping in New England Wood (Entomology Section)
Fri. 14 June 2019 at 9:00 pm
Leader: Barry Henwood 01626 364080.
New England Wood is at SX 597543. Nearest postcode is PL7 5BA. From the A38 at the Lee Mill junction, following signs to Yealmpton. After approximately a mile at the sharp right hand bend, take the minor road straight ahead (New England Hill). At the bottom of the hill, turn into the parking area at New England Quarry, through the gate on the left. The entrance to the reserve is about a 1 minute walk further along the road, on the left, just after the bridge.
If the weather looks unsettled please contact the leader by 6:30pm to check the event is still happening.
This is a joint meeting with Devon Wildlife Trust, Devon Moth Group, Devon Biodiversity Records Centre, Butterfly Conservation and Devonshire Association.
Moth trapping events take place in the dark and there are a few things that you will need to bring so that you have a safe and comfortable evening.
• a torch (don’t forget to check the batteries are not running low)
• warm clothing (even if it is a hot day, it can get chilly after dark)
• suitable footwear (please ask if you are unsure what is suitable for a particular event)
• something to drink and perhaps a snack to eat
• insect repellent (may be useful as mosquitoes can be a pest sometimes)
• dark glasses (you may wish to bring these as the light from the moth traps is very bright)
Please try to arrive by the advertised time, take care of your own personal safety and listen to the short introductory briefing by the event organiser, about any hazards in the area such as electric cables, slippery paths etc. Children are most welcome but must be accompanied by a parent or guardian if under 16.