Cancelled: The medieval Exe Bridge (Exeter Branch)
Fri. 17 April 2020 at 2:30 pm
£3 – £3.50
All DA events up to 30 June have been cancelled because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
See our dedicated page for the latest information.
DA President John Allan will give a talk on the first stone bridge across the River Exe at Exeter. The bridge was built c. 1200 along or close to a Saxon ford when the river was much shallower and wider than it is today, and there were two chapels on the bridge itself – St Edmund’s and St Mary’s.
Multi-storey houses and shops later encroached upon both ends of the bridge and there was an increasing waterfront development on the City side. The south-western half of the bridge was subsequently demolished to make way for the much shorter, triple-arch Georgian Bridge (c. 1772), while the north-eastern half was eventually buried during the development and progressive reclamation of Exe Island. Exeter City Council’s landscaping and removal of debris around the area of the present-day concrete bridges unearthed the north-eastern segment and the ruins of St Edmund’s church.
At the end of the talk, John Allan will lead a short walk to examine the well-preserved remains first hand for those who wish to participate. Entrance fee, including tea and biscuits: members £3 pp; non-members £3.50 pp.