Home Forums Devon Pillow Mounds

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chapelhill
    Participant

We were out for a socially distanced walk today and to the east of Wistman’s Wood, are noted on the 1:25,000 OS Map “Pillow Mounds”. Funny how you don’t notice these things on maps until you’re walking close to them!
    Can anyone please advise what Pillow Mounds are, please? Stone rows, hut circles, barrows &c, I’ve come across and seen, but these are new to me.

Wistman
    Participant

Pillow mounds, better known as “buries”, are the remains of man-made rabbit warrens. There’s a good description of buries on p.155 of Helen Harris’s The Industrial Archaeology of Dartmoor (4th ed.)

Why the OS decided to use an obscure term is anyone’s guess, though Thurlow’s Dartmoor Companion (2001) does say that the term “pillow mounds” has been revived in recent years.

EscapeOxon
    Participant

How fascinating!

Thanks for posting – I’ve visited Wistman’s Wood before but never noticed the pillow mounds on the other side of the stream/river (or even on the map). I’ll make a point of investigating.

The book suggestions looks great too. As a new member of the DA it’s really helpful to get inspiration from more experienced folk.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.