The Botany Section was founded in 1908 to promote the study and enjoyment of Devon’s wild plants, including bryophytes (mosses), lichens and fungi.
An annual program of field meetings, some of which are aimed at beginners, is held in a wide range of Devon locations. Through these meetings and other activities, the Section helps its members and the general public to improve their identification skills and to record the distribution of Devon’s plants. It also offers expert assistance at events run by like-minded bodies showcasing the county’s wildlife.
In 2016, the Section produced a prolifically illustrated book, entitled A New Flora of Devon, which features new species accounts and new distribution maps. This is the first book to be published on the subject since the Atlas of Devon Flora in 1984, and is an important account of the state of Devon’s vascular plants.
From March 2021 A New Flora of Devon is available for all to consult on this website.
The Section is the major source of botanical expertise in the county.
(as of January 2023)
Chair: Mary Breeds
Hon Secretary: Tim Purches 22 Hopton Close, Plymouth PL6 5JJ (Tel. 01752 795256, email: email@example.com)
Hon Treasurer: David Cann
- Vascular Plants
– Roger Smith. 12 Castlewood Avenue, Highweek, Newton Abbot TQ12 1NX (Tel. 01626 368577)
– Roy Jeffery. 3 Berrow Park Road, Peverell, Plymouth PL3 5PZ (Tel. 01752 788352)
– VC3, South Devon: Nicola Bacciu. Contact details below.
– VC4, North Devon: Maxine Putnam. 26, Beach Road, Hele Bay, Ilfracombe EX34 9QZ (Tel. 01271 865569 email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
– Nicola Bacciu. 3 Allhallows Court, Exeter, EX4 3BJ (Tel. 01392 215512)
Committee members: Dr Bob Hodgson, Jeremy Ison
It’s also possible to review the Section’s past events.
Section newsletters and reports
- Botany Section News. Issue 16, Aug 2018
- Botany Section News. Issue 15, Mar 2018
- Botany Section News. Issue 14, Sep 2017
- Launceston. Report from the Botany Section
- Dartmouth. Report from the Botany Section
- Buckfast. Report from the Botany Section
- Launch of A New Flora of Devon
- Cullompton. Report from the Botany Section
- Tavistock. Report from the Botany Section
- Barnstaple. Report from the Botany Section
|< Music Section||Buildings Section >|