The Devonshire Association (DA) is a hub of historical, scientific, artistic and literary enquiry. Supreme among its achievements are the annual volumes of its Transactions, which contain well over 2,000 papers and countless reports from the Sections since 1862.
- See a list of titles of all papers published since 1862.
- Abstracts are also available for each paper published since 1999.
The entire series covers an immense range of scholarly research relating to Devon and represents the greatest single repository of information about the county. It is recognized throughout the world as a valuable resource.
Submission of Papers
Anyone, whether a member of the DA or not, may submit a paper for publication. The only conditions are that the contribution deals with an appropriate Devon topic and that the manuscript is submitted according to the required format. All papers are peer-reviewed. See the Instructions for Authors.
1. Scanned copies of entire volumes 1862–1920
Scanned copies of the earlier volumes, almost in their entirety, are freely available from the Internet Archive website at http://www.archive.org.(*) After selecting a volume from the list below, it may be viewed by clicking ‘Read online’, or downloaded by clicking ‘All files HTTP’ and then right-clicking the pdf or djvu file. You may need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader or DjVu Browser Plug-in installed on your computer to view the files.
(*) Four volumes are missing: IV 1870–1, VI 1873–4 (both available from Google Books); and XLI 1909 and L 1918 (which have not been found online so far).
Two volumes of the Devonshire Domesday and Geld Inquest are also listed.
|The Devonshire Domesday and Geld Inquest Vol 1 (1884-92)||The Devonshire Domesday and Geld Inquest Vol 2 (1884-92)|
Please note that the DA was not responsible for scanning the volumes, some of which are incomplete, especially regarding illustrations.
We are working to make available online the various indices to our Transactions that have been published.
- The General Indices to the Transactions 1862–1968, compiled by A. A Fursdon and originally published as four volumes are now available as a single 588 page file here. (38MB download)
Full runs of our Transactions are held by various organisations, including:
- The reference sections of the larger public libraries in Devon – search their catalogue
- The Devon and Exeter Institution, Exeter
- The Devon Rural Archive, Modbury
- North Devon Athenaeum – search their catalogue
- Tavistock Subscription Library – see their catalogue
Copies of articles from our own set can be supplied for a small fee on application to the Registrar.
4. The future
Since 2017 we have been looking into the feasibility of scanning and hosting the entire set on this website. It will be an expensive undertaking; we will provide updates if and when the project proceeds.